Friday, January 26, 2007

Distinguishing requirements for undergrad vs grad students in MUHL5336

Folks:

I will shortly be posting the Discussion Questions for Watkins 45-61 (pre-Expressionist, pre-serial Berg); feel free to make a start on that material.

In the meanwhile, I'll offer a clarification about contrasting expectations of undergraduate versus graduate students in MUHL5336. As I said, the principal distinction will be in grading and scope of assignments: that is, I would expect graduate papers, exam essays, and so forth to display their additional effort and expertise. However, I can offer an additional distinction that may be useful in thinking about my expectations for each of you.

Within the general formula of "3 for 1" (that is, 3 hours of outside-class work expected for each 1 hour of in-class work), here things I would expect grad students to accomplish:

(1) I would expect grad students to complete, and display knowledge of, all readings in their entirety (e.g., not only Watkins, but also pdf readings already discussed, and more of the same to come). This would include those readings I describe as "optional": perhaps a better way to describe these would be to say "optional for undergrads, mandatory for grad students."

(2) Contributions and comments: I would expect all grad students to display a regular presence via in-class contributions and/or blog comments. If you prefer not to speak in class but rather to comment on the blog, that is fine--but as a graduate student you must have a regular and visible presence in one or both venues. Undergrads: this doesn't mean you are not expected to do this, of course--but it does mean that grad students must contribute--regularly.

Hope that is a useful clarification. DQ's for Watkins 45-61 follow later today.

1 comment:

lilee said...

Dear Dr. Smith,
I will try to do better; as a graduate student I will try to have a more meaningful presence on the blog and in class. This class is a rather different approach from the old music history days, plus it has been a long time since I've had to think and speak meaningfully about music--hopefully, it only took me a while to warm up! Lisa Lee